Tuesday 7 June 2016

P. H. Gosse: A Bibliography

I stumbled across the son of the father first, i.e. Edmund, back in the early eighties on one of many sorties from my office in Leeds to Mr Miles’ Antiquarian Bookshop, near the Merrion Centre on Woodhouse Lane.

Naturally I soon became inquisitive about the father, Philip Henry, or P. H. as he was normally named on the books. It was early into the new interest that I acquired the great bibliography of P. H. Gosse’s works by Richard Broke Freeman and Douglas Wertheimer. This I ordered through the branch of Austick’s Bookshops on Cookridge Street in Leeds.

It was with this erudite work of scholarship in hand that my collecting interest in P. H. Gosse began.

And it was the photograph, in that same bibliography, of the P. H. Gosse collection in the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library at Toronto University that tempted me into my purchases. I later discovered that the core of the Toronto material was the collection of R. B. Freeman, the bibliographer himself.

The book.

R. B. Freeman and Douglas Wertheimer, P. H. Gosse: A Bibliography, Folkstone, Dawson, 1980.


© John Dunn.

No comments:

Post a Comment